Alghero (www.alghero.org) is a fortified city which was born on the sea and owes its name to this. The name is believed to derive from the abundant deposits of oceanic poseidonia leaves (improperly "algae") which can be found along the sandy coasts. Alghero was founded in the 12th century by the Doria family; in the following century, however, it was conquered by the Catalan-Aragonese who entered the city on 31st August 1353. The following year the city was repopulated by people from different Catalan territories: ever since Alghero has preserved the language and traditions of that people.
Splendid monuments, churches, the ancient city with towers, ramparts, elegant buildings. The bell towers of the cathedral of SANTA MARIA and of the church of SAN FRANCESCO retain a clear imprint of the Gothic-Catalan style. Barceloneta, as Alghero is called by the Catalans, was the first capital of Sardinian tourism since the end of the 19th century. Today it is still the city with the greatest traditions of hospitality in Sardinia.
Porto Conte: the bay between the promontory of Capo Caccia and the bay of Alghero. One of the most peaceful landing points of the Riviera del Corallo (so named for the abundance of "red gold" on its seabed), it is also perfect for a nighttime stop on the piers of the marina. It is part of the Capo Caccia - Isola Piana Protected Marine Area (www.ampcapocaccia.it) and is very popular for practicing various land and sea sports.